View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 01:44 PM
F172Driver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: C172 Right Side

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post
I just hope no one in the media finds you two "experts."

First, let me say I have no 402 time, but have a good deal of 414 and 421 time. I believe they share many of the same systems.

My experience with the 400 series fuel selector valves is they leak like sieves. Sitting on a slightly sloped ramp could cause a 50 lb. imbalance in less than an hour. Add a malfunctioning valve, and 12 gallons could move very quickly.

The valves are connected to selectors via bell cranks, which are just as happy flexing as moving the valve if everything isn't well lubricated. On a couple occasions, I had fuel starved engines due to stuck valves. Get the plane on the ground, smear some grease on the linkage, and she's good as new.

Folks, its bad enough that the Jeraldo Riveras of the world are out to linch us pilots for ANY PERCEIVED misstep, but why are our "brethren" bringing the rope?

Yeah, the Cape pilot ONLY had 25 years in Cessnas (according to the paper).
First off, I never said that I was any expert. I specifically said that I have no idea how that system works and I most certainly wasn't trying to "bring the rope". Personally, I think theres more to this than meets the eye at this time. Thats why I think the final report is going to be an interesting read when its published.