Old 08-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Smooth_Landing
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
I don't know if the military will accept you with your vision, but I can tell you that aviation is a long and painful road. If you are uncomfortable with investing 8 years in the military I can assure you that the civilian route can be much more painful and offers greatly reduced chances at success.

After 8 years in the military you could be ready to separate as an aircraft commander of a DC-10 with perhaps 3000 hours after earning a good living during that time. As a civilian you might be just reaching a point after 8 long and impoverished years where you could upgrade in a year of two at a regional. No comparison !!

Flying demands a huge sacrifice. If you are unwilling to even talk to a recruiter about it then I would re-evaluate your thoughts of going to the profession. No matter where you turn it demands a huge price. The costs of a military career are obvious and so are the benefits.

SKyHigh
I heard if you stay as a freight dog for a company like Mountain Air Cargo, Ram Air or Ameriflight your pay increases along pretty well...is this not true? I have also heard its not that hard to get these jobs because there are a lot of openings and after you meet part 135 minimums the jobs are there. Also I heard that after 5 or 6 years of flying with these outfits you can make in excess of 40k! That's better than what I am doing now just out of college.