View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.
Default it's not the camera...

DSLRs are a good value these days, agreed. They have improved by leaps and bounds over the last ten years. But so have point and shoots. Don't forget the ever-unpopular fact that it ain't the camera, it's the artist. You could buy a $250 point and shoot and spend the other $350 taking an art classes at a junior college. I promise you would be happier with the results than if you fooled around for years trying to figure out the same things on your own. I have had the money from time to time to get fancy cameras and I have always decided to resist the temptation. My father is a life-long fine art photographer with Hasselblads, Mamiyas, darkrooms, 8x10 film cameras, you name it. The most moving work he ever did was on a $5 Brownie. Get the nice gear eventually, but grow into it. Another plus for the point and shoot is that small cameras are a lot better roadways, airports and cockpits than DSLRs. I would try a cheap camera to begin with and grow into fancy gear when your needs grow to that point.