Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Jayps078
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Default New Here - How are the job opportunities for newbie pilots right now?

Hi all,

this is my first post. I am 21, and am starting my cpl course here in New Zealand. I believe i'll be done in about 2 years, if i push myself, and have my license. what i was hoping you all could help me with is the scope out there for pilots at the moment, and your ideas on how it'll be in the future. is the aviation industry receding? is it getting harder to get a job as a pilot now? and will things turn around in the next 2 yearS?

i also heard that there are some places that provide you with free tuition, and give u a job after your course... the catch there is that u work for them for about 6 years, to cover the investment they put into you education. is that true? and if so, where abouts are such places?

i'm sorry, i'm a bit nervous about all this. i'm passionate about planes, about the sky and will do what it takes to be a pilot. i've been studying biomed till now, thinking it'll make my father happy... you know, the whole "my son's a doctor" thing. a bad move on my part, becoz; 3 years down teh line i can't stand it, and now have a dept that wasn't necessary. i'm def not going to work in the field, and have decided enough's enough. it's time i just did what i wanted to. dad's now more ok with me wanting to be a pilot, and is happy i've finally been more stern about what i wan for my future.

so.. now is the hard bit. i've mostly decided i'll study at ardmore (in auckland), as i've heard a lot of positive rep for them, but am still open to other options. (not limited to the austral-asian pacific).

so... any suggestions, and any help is more than welcome! but most of all.. how's the industry looking now, and projected for the future. i don't wanna come out, and find there's no job oppourtunities for pilots... though, with only a couple hundered flight hours, it'd be hard to get a job, i understand this, but that the industry has collapsed would be a pretty frightening welcome to the world of pilots.

plz help!

Jayps