View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 AM
daytonaflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Jump

Longbow64,
I used to be a flight instructor at MAPD at ASU east.
It is a good program, very professionally done. They are pretty strict with their students, so you need to be mature and ready to study. If you screw around and don't do your work, they will not let you move into their FO position after graduation.
The main boss there (Pete) is a former air force general, some of the professors were colonels and majors. He is a good guy and appreciates prior military experience. It would be good to get to know him.
They do not offer the PFT program at the ASU campus, which is good. Their students were mostly very knowledgeable and hard working. Compared to many of the students I graduated with at ERAU in FL, I would say that the MAPD students knew as much, maybe even more.
Other than that, they fly nice airplanes. Private is done in the Piper Cherokee. Instrument and commercial are done in the Beech Bonanza, the multi is done in a Beech Baron.
Many of their airplanes have Garmin 430 gps and traffic avoidance.
The ASU east campus is very small and quiet, but some of your courses are probably going to be at the main campus, so you will meet people from there too. Make sure you have a car, because it is about a 20-30 minute drive between campuses.
The main campus is packed with beautiful women, they sometimes go to class in shorts and bikini tops.
I hear their new chief instructor is a pain in the rear, it's too bad, because that used to be a fun place to work.
The flying is very expensive, comparable to ERAU, Pan AM, and Flight Safety prices. If you are intent on going the college aviation route though, this is one of the best deals available. They will put you into the FO seat in a Regional jet with under 300 hours. You'll never even have to flight instruct.
Mesa is not the best regional airline, but if you can stand the low pay for the first couple years, you will be upgraded and be making over $50,000 by year three. And you will be eligible to apply to the majors by year 5.
Good luck.

Last edited by daytonaflyer; 08-22-2006 at 11:43 AM.