View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 09:03 PM
NuGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Heyas,

Interesting thread....

I applied to Customs (as it was known then) back in 98. All civilian, dual rated, no mil or LE. At the time I had about 7500TT, with about 5000 135/121 turboprop, about 800 heilo (mostly R-22 time with a bit of turbine), with ATPs and CFIs in both (including a rotor CFI-I).

Filled out the form (no on-line apps back then), and it got kicked back because I hadn't checked the "instrument rating" box, even though I had marked ATP. Oh well, took about 3 months to get that re-submitted.

Three months later I got the call for an interview at Homestead three months down the road (I'm from SoFL anyway). Everyone seemed top notch. I had set up some review time in a C-182RG (closest thing to a 210 I could find for rent), and had some B-206 time lined up.

I don't remember my score, but at the time, dual rated pilots got a bump in pay grade.

About that time NWA called, so I bailed on the process. I always wonder what it would have been like. When I called to cancel the interview, they seemed honestly bummed, because they were having a hard time finding people, especially dual rated who were intersted in living in MIA. The airlines were hiring gangbusters then, so like everything else, it's a matter of timing.

Nu