View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 06:37 AM
BigBallzMagee
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: CRJ Flap Operator

Originally Posted by higney85 View Post
Yes, there will be LOFT's. From my understanding a CA will have 1 LOFT and 1PC every 6 months in a LOFT,PC,LOFT,PC rotation. So back to the way it used to be of CA's only having 1 PC per year but get training in the sim every 6 months. From the conference call with MG it appears that FO's will do the same but (at least to start) I am gathering we will still only go every 12 months to the sim. PC every other Sim. I personally would like to see FO's and CA's on the same 6 month schedule. LOFT's are great and I would prefer a PC every year, as compared to 2. I know it seems nuts but we are just doing our job- there is plenty of rust after 1 year with V1 cuts, steep turns, etc (things we don't typically do on the line). Every 2 years would be a little too long between for me. Thats just opinion...

Here is the big issue with all this.
The Union 100% supports LOFTS, The company 100% supports LOFTS, The vast majority of pilots want LOFTS, The company wants to use "pro-instructors" to do a "LINE ORIENTED FLIGHT EXPERIENCE"... BUT THEY DON'T FLY THE LINE and while the company says its not a Jeopardy event, it is required (the training is required) by the FAA for 121 ops. So if it's required training, it needs to be done by a current line-flying check airman. That is where the issue lies- Pro-instructors vs. Check Airman.

LOFT will be much like your first (and possibly only so far for new guys) that was done after your FO checkride.
Confirmed today that this will be how it's going to happen. For FO's the first year mark will be a LOFT due to the checkride counting as a PC. Then the next year.....2 year mark will be a PC. ( Which stalls were dropped off and now there implementing a stall recovery maneuver instead. ) Also the LOFTS will mostly be done by the Pro instructors, the company found a way around the issue I guess. Also down the road they might try and get Captains and Fo's in the sim every 9 months but probably won't do 6 months because of the cost......Pinch-a-nickel at it's finest.