Thread: UPS article
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Originally Posted by reachpilot View Post
Does the hiring freeze mentioned in the article pertain to pilot positions also?
Well, they don't ever specify "hiring freezes" for pilots, instead they simply stop interviewing and/or hiring the pilots.

However, some of our pilots seem to be retiring despite the age 65 ruling. I noticed that APC in their cargo airline section changed UPS pilot count to 2908 from some 2930 or so just a few months back (I think?)... So some pilots are in fact still retiring which is good news in this environment.

Also, I was in Louisville just a few days ago and saw a retirement poster/picture (you know, one that other pilots may sign) for one of our captains who is - are you ready for this? - retiring once he turns 60 in a few weeks!

Guys - I just want to shake his hand and buy him a beer! : )

Screw Al Gore - now here's a man who truly deserves the Nobel Peace Price!!!

Originally Posted by reachpilot View Post
What is the latest speculation for pilot hiring in 2009?
I have read all the posts about reductions and displacements, etc. but it seems like UPS will have to hire eventually. Just trying to figure out if it will be one year, two years, or possibly longer.
I have been in the pool for just over a year and am trying to keep my hopes up for a class date someday.
Thanks
RP
RP - trust me that all of us want to see you and all the other poolies here ASAP. Personally I doubt it'll happen in 2009 though. UPS is known for being extra cautious and doesn't like to hire unless they really have to.

In fact, not too long ago many of us (the pilots) were complaining how understaffed we thought we were based on the sheer amount of JA calls, open time, etc. Today it looks like they were right and we were wrong ; ) – and their caution paid off in a big way.

However, once they start hiring they'll be at least a year or so behind the power curve and our HR department will get a call from Atlanta with instructions... "hire pilots right now and bring them here yesterday if you can!"

Last edited by ⌐ AV8OR WANNABE; 02-16-2009 at 11:29 AM.