View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 01:21 PM
spank
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Former XJ, Corporate HS-125
Default My .02

I went to a major university program and althought the training was top notch, the cost was also almost 2 times more than doing it outside at an FBO or ATP style academy. If you love it, don't let everyone scare you away. Give it a shot, but don't back your self up with an aviation related degree...that'd be about the equivalent of a doctor backing his career up with a degree in dump truck driving=worthless. Stay at UM, finish your degree in something you wouldn't mind doing if things don't work out. Take advantage of the prime flying weather that Florida has to offer and explore your training options both part 61 and 141 to find what will work best with your schedule. Last but not least, don't be one of these guys who expects to get his CMEL and 25 hrs multi and go straight to a regional. Those days are long gone, plan on becoming a CFI and spending atleast 2 years building time while probably working a 2nd job to pay the bills. The industry is flooded with young, qualified individuals right now, some with 1000's of part 121 time. Best of luck, if it's all you can think about it give it a shot. You'll learn quickly whether or not being a professional pilot is all you dreame it would be or not. Stay modest, train hard, and do whatever you can to make your self that much more marketable than the guy next to you come interview time. Feel free to PM with questions, I'd be happy to offer my perspective.

-Spank