View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 AM
mshunter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: PA-31/left, LJ31/right

Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Depends on the FBO. I just don't see the point of rushing to finish ratings right now. There aren't many jobs to be had. So now you're a low time pilot, in debt, and are going to have to pay to remain current while trying to find a job.
It all depends on your personal situation. You could still work at your "regular job" and pay down the loan while instructing on the side. IMHO, it's a good deal for right now. It will help you build time while the industry turns around. And you have to be willing to move to get a decent paying job right now. I was lucky enough to find one close to home, and it didn't rewquire a move. And my wife makes decent money, so the kids mouth is still fed, the roof is still there, and now that I love what I do, she can tollerate me.

In the end, it doesn't matter how you get there. They don't ask in the interview "where did you get your certs.?" They just care that you have them and you meet the requirements mostly. It's just two diferent points of view. Yours has many valid points, and most of them are very, very good. It's a matter of perspective, and what your goals are, and what you are willing to endure in the end to achieve your dream. I am willing to put up with a few years of loan payments to not have to be a greasemonkey any more.