View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 07:17 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Originally Posted by nick@FL350
Thanks FlyerJosh -

You are pretty much left me the nicest response here. It seems like some people have a chip on their shoulder here. It's not that I'm willing to sell myself for free. I am just a very eager and motivated guy who wants to get where you guys are now. In my eyes there is absolutely nothing wrong with a person who wants to suceed.
There's nothing wrong with being motivated and eager to succeed, but remember that success doesn't come overnight, or by selling your soul to the devil...

It might seem logical to offer your services for free (I mean after all, flight time is a form of compensation right? At least as far as the FAA is concerned). But, sometimes you have to look beyond the here and now. Ask yourself where you want to be in ten years and what attracts you to aviation.

Be honest. Regardless of whether or not you have a deep love of aviation, I'm sure that you also were at least lured to flying by the stories of big paychecks and lots of days off. Unfortunately, the trend of the industry over the past 3-4 years is downward. Companies use the "eagerness and motivation to advance" of younger, less experienced pilots against established pilots. It works too, simply because the younger pilots don't know any better. ALPA has done a **** poor job of helping educate the issue and an even worse job of trying to enforce some sort of minimum standard for pay and work rules. (But I digress...)

Pay your dues- nothing in aviation comes easily or cheaply... That doesn't mean that you can't get a big break (I was hired with less than 700TT/65ME into the CRJ in 2000). But big breaks take work in some form or another. It often requires impressing people, networking, and busting your butt to get a shot... and then not screwing up when the opportunity to impress comes. With more experience the opportunites become more frequent...

If a break comes along, by all means take it (if anybody gives you **** about jumping onto a LEGITAMITE opportunity, ask them if they would have done the same thing if in your shoes).

But until then, work on your patience and ask for help (coming to this board is a good place to start). Before you know it, somebody will come calling...