View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 03:07 PM
⌐ AV8OR WANNABE
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Originally Posted by FedEx1 View Post
Guess cause I don't know civilian aircraft! Thought a cheyenne was a piston, sorry. Hope the other info helps.
Hey, don't sweat it. It goes both ways; a few years ago I read about a military aircraft with the military designation of "VC-6A." The code name sounded very mystical to me as supposedly it had been used as an Air Force One aircraft; I figured it must have been a B707, B747 or something similar.

Well, come to find out it was a plain 'ole King Air 90!

Air Force One
"During the administration of President Lyndon Johnson, the United States Air Force acquired a Model B90 King Air "off-the-shelf". With the military designation VC-6A, the aircraft, serialled 66-7943,[15] was used to transport President Johnson between Bergstrom Air Force Base (near Austin, Texas) and the Johnson family ranch near Johnson City, Texas. When Johnson was aboard, the aircraft used the callsign Air Force One. This aircraft is now on display, with other presidential aircraft, at the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio."

Here's some Cheyenne info:

"The Piper Cheyenne family of turboprop corporate aircraft is based on the popular Navajo and Chieftain piston twins."

Piper PA-31T Cheyenne | Airliners.net