Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 PM
RVSM Certified
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Default Picking a CFI for a Specific Training Mission

I'm returning to aviation after being away for many years. Back when it was legal to do so, a Captain of an L-1011 (still, one of my favorite aircraft) let "loose" on the flight deck, with FE supervision, of course. I remember it well, twilight as the backdrop through the cockpit glass and the flight deck was lit-up like a bran new Christmas tree. The lights reminded me of pieces of candy, just waiting to be eaten. Man, that was when my love affair began with aircraft. I was only eight years old back then. Of course, life 'happens' and somehow I got side tracked all these years. Now, I'm back - and with a passion.

Here's my plan:

a) I am going to purchase more than one aircraft, to serve more than one purpose/need: Personal and business flying of equal length and/or range from a low of 400 nm up to intercontinental range [outside the U.S.] The type of flying will range from your basic $100 hamburger fly-in for the day, weekend aerobatic romps, summer season airshows, weekend getaways, day or week long business trips, all the way up to extended vacations. In other words, the aircraft itself is going to become an extension of myself and a very important mode of transportation from this point forward. Like a member of the family, so to speak.

b) The aircraft I plan to purchase are all high performance category aircraft: a twin engine light business jet (SPC and RVSM certified), a single engine sport VLJ and either an Extra or an Edge. There is the possibility of replacing the Extra or Edge with a P-51 Mustang, but I'm still not convinced that I'd have more fun in the Mustang, than I would the Edge or Extra - but I'll work out the details on that later.

c) I'm green on PIC hours, but no stranger to aviation in the grand scheme of things. I've been around aircraft for a long time, just never closed the deal on my license and ratings. Over the years, I've read a lot of books on different dimensions of aviation and I've even considered the possibility of building a General Aviation Aircraft Manufacturing Company producing a 7 to 9 thousand pound high-performance civilian tactical jet - but that's another topic for another day. So, I'm no stranger to aviation - I'm just not legal to fly solo.

d) My time table is within two (2) years (Private, Instrument, Commercial, ME and jet type). That means, from zero to light business twin jet, single pilot and RVSM certified within two years, give or take a couple months and topping out at somewhere near the 1,500 to 2,000 PIC hour mark [with 75% turbine, at least.]

e) I'm highly motivated with safety is my first priority and maximum pilot competency as my ultimate goal. My first priority is to stay alive. My worst nightmare is to be taught bad habits in the cockpit that one day get me killed, or someone else injured. So, pilot proficiency is a top priority and that means getting my aircraft to do what it needs to do at all times.

Ok, that's my story and I'm sticking too it. Now, allow me start out with these three questions, please:

1) What makes a good pilot?

2) How can I mentally prepare myself before initiating any flight training to eventually become the pilot that I know I can be some day?

3) Given my goals [a-e above], would I be better served by finding a retired airline pilot who still loves to fly, teach and share his/her years of experience with highly motivated students and who can give me special insight into flying swept wing jets with high wing loading? Or, could any CFI get me to where I need to be?

I have a lot more questions, but I'll start with these and work my way up from here.

Best Regards,
RVSM