Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
alfaromeo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by III Corps View Post
There may be 4 suits being pursued by USAPA but one is not. It is being handled by retired pilots who got hosed, who are NOT represented by ALPA or USAPA. I believe the blurb is extracted from the retired pilots newsletter.

Your jibe about the 'little union' in this case may be misplaced and reactionary.

(FWIW, I was told when ALPA was approached about the problem of problems in the termination of the pension, the retired pilots were quickly and succinctly told essentially that ALPA is not interested in the problems of retired pilots and does not represent them. Also, ALPA reps had told the line pilot it was a 'line in the sand' and no termination would take place without a vote by the line pilot. Right. Didn't happen. The pension was terminated with agreement by the MEC and by national. Nice.. )
Not be picky, but ALPA is PROHIBITED BY LAW from representing retired pilots in bankruptcy. That is why there is 1113 (for active employees) and 1114 (for retired employees). Don't know anything else about US Airways so I can't comment. Have heard this same complaint from Delta retirees, but they don't understand the law. Bankruptcy law recognizes that there can be different priorities between active and retired employees and prevents any cross representation in Chapter 11. Pension termination can only take place by court order. The MEC can choose to fight the termination or not, but they can't terminate a pension, only the judge can do that and only after the debtor makes their case. Delta retirees fought the Delta pension termination and it was terminated anyway. Sorry, but elections matter. Presidents get to appoint federal judges, including bankruptcy judges.