View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 07:25 PM
RVSM Certified
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by HSLD View Post
Before you re-invent the wheel, have a look at this document that describes the learning strategies that the FAA promotes:
Thank you very much, HSLD for the encouragement and for calling out 8083 for me. That was an eye opener. Do you think that most [if not all] CFI's embed all of 8083 into their practice as instructors? There really does seem like a ton of teaching concepts and many teaching tools wrapped up in 8083. I notice that it covers some of the personality types, learning behavior(s) and the visual, auditory and kinesthetic concepts that I alluded to earlier.

There was so much there, I was expecting to see something on the six (6) fundamental questions, but nothing thus far seems to match that learning concept. I'll make sure to make 8083 part of my primary study process to learn as much as I can about the student/instructor relationship in an effort to optimize the learning process.

One thing I found very encouraging was this: (8083, Chapter 1-3)

Instructor and Student Relationship

How does personality type testing affect instructors and students?

Research has led many educational psychologists to feel that based on personality type, everyone also has an individual style of learning. In this theory, working with that style, rather than against it, benefits both instructor and student. Although controversy often swirls around the educational benefits of teaching students according to personality types, it has gained a large following and been implemented at many levels of education.

I like that fact that somebody has figured this out and has made a part of what every CFI should know about their student. 8083 also goes on to say that it is not preferable for an instructor with one type of teaching style, to be in a position of instructing a student with a different learning style. 8083 says, that learning is optimized when both the instructor and the "learner" both share the same teaching/learning styles.

Well, that just makes sense to me. I think I'm going to like this publication, thanks for pointing me to it. As a student, I know it is not required reading, but after reading some of it, it sure seems like it should be required for every student and every instructor.

Nice find, a real keeper for the library. Thanks!