View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Flying Low
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Lantis 838 k-loader/Freightliner FL70

Originally Posted by welle036 View Post

I got my cdl in one month, drove over the road for three months and then was hired to do local deliveries, home every night with hourly pay of 18/hr before overtime. Lots of super early mornings and long days of hard work. It is pretty easy to make 50k. If you were in the industry ten years and couldn't find a better job that is on you, it is pretty easy to find decent work with a cdl if you have the desire and work ethic.
Good counterpoint to my my experience, I don't doubt it. Still takes a good break to get onboard at one of the union companies, and then you're pretty locked into 8-hr days, 5 days a week (or more), two weeks of vacation a year. Nothing to complain about, but one of the benefits of long-haul driving and professional pilot tends to be the possibility of more than the occasional long weekend away from the office.

At the end of the day, if you work hard and do a good job, someone's bound to notice. And then they're going to try and get you to do it again, only for less money....