View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Skygirl
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Originally Posted by UNDGUY View Post
I had lasik done in 1999. I went from 20-60 to 20-20 in two days. The doctor assured me that I wouldn't have to worry about glasses for at least 20 years. (I was twenty at the time) As the years went on my vision slowly got worse and worse. Today my vision is right back to 20-60. To make it worse, glasses can no longer correct my vision to 20-20 because of the scar tissue and the jagged line across my eye lense from the incision. When I began flight school I passed my first class medical, three years later (yesterday) I am only correctable to 20-25. I now have a degree in commercial aviation. I am an instructor with 400 total time, and I will not be able to pass the vision portion for a class one or class two medical. Do I have any aviation options other than to keep flight instructing for the rest of my life? If I do have to flight instructor forever, where is the best pay.QOL etc... I was thinking flight safety, or delta connection academy, maybe a place that does type ratings as well as primary training so I can work my way up and eventually fly the big jets in the sim. Anything positive would be helpful. It has been a really bad week for me.

Thanks, UNDGUY
That's a bit frightening to hear, since I've actually been considering the surgery....