View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
venusinfurs
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Default Three Barriers From My Dream Job

Hello, I am a college freshman and like many here, I have aspired to be a pilot for quite some time. (almost ten years) I flew a plane before I ever drove a car and hoped to obtain to my PPL around my 17th birthday. However, before I could get serious about my training (i.e. getting a a 3rd class medical) I quickly found out the FAA has a lot of restrictions on medication. Which consists of two of my three barriers.

-At the young age of ten (the same age I got Flight Simulator 98 and decided I wanted to be an airline pilot) I was diagnosed with ADD. My grades were terrible at that time but after a few years and trying different medication my grades began to improve significantly, and by high school I was improving so much my doctor was hesitant to take me off and as a result I was on medication for years (I just stopped taking them a few months ago)

-A few years after my ADD diagnosis I was diagnosed with depression. Now I will admit I was probably another overdiagnosed kid with ADD. But depression was very real, and obviously was on medication for years. I went to hell and back, and I have been completely mentally healthy for about three years. It really did just dissipate and again, I have fully recovered.

-And last but certainly not least. When I was 17 I got in trouble with my school with marijuana, I did not get in trouble with the law, and never have, not even a parking ticket. But as my private school was quite strict, they ordered me to see a drug counselor for three sessions in order to graduate. I suppose you could consider this a mild outpatient rehab.

So my question to everyone is, is it worth my time, and money to pursue a career as an airline, or corporate pilot? What is unfortunate about this is not only am I over all of these barriers, I have made honor roll every semester of high school and college, as of now, and have extensively studied how to fly and operate commercial aircraft and have become quite proficient at it too. And even more unfortunate is I feel a future in aviation had really kept me in line. (I know I got in trouble, and maybe to some here that is a big deal, but I really could have gotten into a lot more trouble if I was more apathetic) So give it to me straight.

Thank you,
-Matt