Thread: DCA crash
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
OperatorError
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by TwoStar View Post
I can't help but think this could have been avoided. Both instructor and student were wonderful people and talented.
Its sad if you look back to before the arrival of Cirrus aircraft on campus and realize there was an upset recovery and spin program put in place strictly due to the fact DCA was changing over to Cirrus and the potential for this accident could happen. Unlike other schools that have an upset program because of what it can teach pilots, DCA created the program strictly due to the liability around the addition of Cirrus to the fleet.
I for one am grateful I had the chance to take the course although I had to scream and complain to get it. The course was eventually pulled by arrogant management who are concerned only with who knows what. I firmly believe that had our friends been so lucky as to have what was intended, perhaps it would have been just enough to help them through what happened and have brought them back to us.
They will be missed.
I appreciate the condolences on the tragedy last week. On the issue of the upset recovery course...I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but it's a little wrong. The course was originally designed to provide CFI students the required (by regulation) spin training as the Cirrus is not approved for spins. It had great intent but in actuality, the Extra 200 was very hard for anyone over 210lbs to fit in, and the course added unneeded cost to the overall training. Although the 172 cannot do hammer heads, it serves the purpose of spin training just fine.