Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 AM
winglet
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Good Post,

I hear you 5 by 5! It's a sign of the times. Ab-Initio training, TCAS, GPWS, moving map GPS, (almost idiot-proof) automated aircraft, multiple-choice exams with answers provided, zero FAA oversight. I'm frustrated as well being forced continuously into playing "unpaid flight instructor". Pilot standards have definitely dropped to an all time low.

Where are the pilots that I used to look up to? The ones that grew up knowing they wanted to fly since their earliest memories? You know, the ones I don't have to explain the differences between a Boeing and an Airbus to? The ones that built their time with experience in a multitude of different aircraft and flying environments? The ones that became airline pilots AFTER building their confidence and competence at night in inadequate little airplanes in questionable weather?

We are living in the post 9/11 airline era where you can go from a over priviledged burned out 25 year old (insert your former dead-end job here) to "airline pilot" in 18 months. Skipping the experience and knowledge that is required for the position. I really shouldn't have to babysit these guys. I'm tiring of teaching aerodynamics, meteorolgy, high altitude aerodynamics, aircraft performance, etc. to these neophytes with the over inflated sense of entitlement. I miss flying with the guys and gals who have previousely explored the full envelope of their aircraft and flying abilities and posess the instincts and thought processes required for the job before they strap on a Part 121 aircraft with passengers in the back.

I'll continue on though because that is what I do. I'll show up to work and once again spend my time aloft explaining complex airspace, correct WX Radar usage, takeoff/landing performance, etc, to another clueless 21 year old 250 hour "ace of the base". I'll once again waste my breath explaining what I thought was common aviation knowledge contained in such obscure publications as the AIM and CFR 14, Part 91, 121 etc. That's my career choice, I guess.

Oh, and for those of you I offended. Good! It means I described what you know is true. Put down the magazine, unplug the I-Pod, skip a drink, and crack a book occasionally. Go read an airplane book (start with an Aircraft Recognition Handbook), build an aviation library, hand fly more often, make a small effort to increase your aviation knowledge, observe the good pilots you fly with, ask yourself what makes them good. Take note of the bad habits of the crappy pilots you fly with and vow not to become like them. Oh and since I'm at it, go and get some quality cross-wind landing instruction and then read "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" or "Fly the Wing" or "Fate is the Hunter", etc.

You'll find that with a continued desire to gain knowledge and experience, and the attempt to be your best, you'll develop the real confidence along with the real competence you've been faking thus far. You're an AIRLINE PILOT, act like one.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Now let's all get out there and reclaim the profession.

Winglet Out!

Last edited by winglet; 02-25-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: sp.