View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 06:02 AM
Brad4est
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: MD-11 Capt

Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
As I understand it from the CBA in order to get your home bought you have to

a) be within 100 miles of base (that takes out 2/3 of MEM pilots from the start and about 50% of LAX pilots) and

b) move to the new base within 100 miles - that means move you and your family I believe. Can't just buy a crashpad in ANC and keep the wife in MEM. If she's listed as a dependent on your insurance I believe they can ask for proof of residency.

Do you really think even 25% of those displaced will fall into this category?
Not quite accurate. The relevant bit from the contract states:

6.B.2. Distance Limitations
A pilot shall not be entitled to a move package unless:
a. the domicile (or base in the case of an FDA) to which he is moving is more than 50 nautical miles from his current domicile (or base in the case of an FDA); and
b. the permanent residence to which he is moving is more than 50 nautical miles from his current permanent residence; and
c. the domicile (or base in the case of an FDA) to which he is moving is more than 50 nautical miles from his current permanent residence; and
d. the residence to which he is moving is within 100 nautical miles of the domicile (or base in the case of an FDA) to which he is moving; and
e. the residence to which he is moving is in the same country as the base.

So yes, you do have to move within 100 miles of new domicile, but no your present home doesn't have to be within 100 miles of current domicile. There is a "crash pad" move option you are also eligible for.

Yes, I do think well over 25% will fall into this category. Whether they will avail themselves of it remains to be seen. If you commute to MEM, you could probable commute to ANC. Commuting to HKG, not really an option.

Bottom line, if you are looking at this as a way to "scam" the company for extra bucks, you'll be disappointed. If you are actually looking for assistance for a bona-vide move, it's pretty reasonable. IMHO