View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 08:59 PM
numbersguy
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: line holder

31Hz: I'm still with wife #1, never lived through a furlough, I'm a paying/voting/poll-answering Alpa member. Hopefully no kids in college at 60. I'm actually not a new hire...still figuring out how to change that label on this site, been at the company 8 years. 40+ years old. Widebody rightseater. I'll be working somewhere between 60 and 65 (you probably will be too).

Jetjock: I have some ideas about what this proposal might mean. What do you think? Wouldn't it be better to shape this coming retirement change, before it is reshaped for us by some outside influence (company, federal legislation, etc)??

This change will happen, industry-wide, in the next two contracts. If you plan on being at Fedex after that, it will impact you. The time is now to start shaping the policy.

Right now one of the many manning challenges the company is dealing with, is not knowing who's gonna be here when. If you are over 60, you can keep flying or you can drop your retirement letter and be gone in short notice. The company has some incentive to push for this change, to lessen the risk. They want it....means we have some negotiating room here. Time to take advantage.