Thread: Future Outlook?

jonnyjetprop , 03-04-2009 04:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off
jonnyjetprop
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Dec 2005
If you want to get into aviation, then keep building your time and skills. Don't go into debt as you do it. When the industry turns around, you'll be ready.

I wouldn't get a masters just to get one. If you want to get into a field that requires one, then by all means, do it. It just won't help at the airline interview.

Your aviation degree will help a bit at the airline interview, but will be far less value to other employers. Education seldoms hurts.

Aviation employment is like a wave. It goes up and down. To many in the industry, we down play the effect the economy has on others. Everything is down. We will look back on this time as one of the worst downturns since the depression. Individual sucess in aviation is based on were in the cycle you get on and pure luck. Call me in 23 years and I'll tell you if I made the correct choices. The second issue is that aviation has many paths and unless your hell bent on an airline career, then keep your eyes open. There are many ways to make a living off aviation.

Quote: I'm going to piggy back on this topic rather then start one of my own, and I'm looking for advice/ideas.

I'm a 360ish hour CFI. I haven't had a steady student yet since I got my CFI is October of last year. My bachelors of science degree is in Aviation Technology. I do wonder if I shot my self in the foot (so to speak) by doing that.

I do have a full time job (sort of) in the hospitality industry, but I am looking to get out. I'd like to get in to the aviation industry, but everything is either holding as is or downsizing.

I can't fly for the military. I'm deaf in one ear so that crosses me out from getting a first class military medical.

I have thought about going back to school for a masters, but in what I have no idea. I dunno how I could take my current undergrad degree and aplly it to a masters. I never really thought of going on to get my masters when I was working on my undergrad.