Thread: Buying 152?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 01:26 PM
thejuggernaut
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2006

I have considered the leaseback idea however my local FBO just bought a 152 so they could stop leasing back and keep all the profits. It is a shame to cause the 152 they were leasing was getting about 70-80 hours a month. There are alot of things to consider when leasing back also. In order for most schools to lease it back from you they require that you get insurance that covers student pilots soloing in it. Ive been told for even a small 152 its about 5 grand a year. So if the airport isnt leasing it enough you get stuck paying that money. The nearest airport that would consider it is atleast 50 miles away. That means if i wanted to fly it, which i would a few times a week, I would spend atleast 200 bucks a month driving to the airport just to fly my own plane. Other things like 100 hour inspections and huge amount of hours being put on the airframe, the cost of tires(they get worn out fast when a kid with 4 hours tries to land it and chews the rubber off of it) would cut into the profits. But to make a long story short, Leaseback would not be a viable option for me. Ugh, decision.....