View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by RVSM Certified View Post
The other question is this:

When I start doing cross-country flight planning, will I spend time investigating the historicity of destination and alternate airport ambient temperatures and relative humidity levels, so that I don't make the mistake of landing in an airport that I can't get out of? Or, am I placing too much emphasis on the effects of density altitude on real aircraft performance?

To me, it would seem like I would want to match the aircraft to the mission profile and not necessarily think that I can fly just anything into any situation. Or, am I being overly concerned?
RVSM -

I worry about HIGH, HOT, AND HUMID in my airplane - so I would certainly advise you to worry about any aircrft that you might end up flying on a X/C

I remember well 29 Palms Expeditionary Airfield in August with a temperature hovering somewhere around 115 degs, with full fuel and a heavy payload and watching the end of that 8,000 foot, AM-2 matting runway screaming toward me and wondering if this thing (my airplane) was actually going to fly or not!

USMCFLYR