View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 AM
eaglefly
Banned

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by 7576FO View Post
Well, it looks like Alaska has a Tentative agreement for it's MEC to approve.
But your "but I cannot see how these demands leave AMR viable"
Sounds like Continental is making headway.
eaglefly, you let your hatred of APA and your envy of AA pilots color your every post. You claim to be "something" at eagle. Just what are you?
Good day.
I don't "envy" AA pilots and don't hate them either. I have several friends who fly there. Yes, I have little love for the APA, but emotion isn't clouding my perceptions and comments. In fact, emotion is one aspect more present this time unlike previous conflicts between mainline labor and management and I don't believe that will change. Emotion can be good and not so good and this time Lloyd will have to lead the hardline charge forward or lose face.

Perhaps you can convince me how AMR is to be a profitable company with enormous wage and contract improvements demanded by the APA coupled at the same time with revenue strangling scope provisions. I'm all ears.

First examine the APA's opener and then estimate what the minimum acceptable package for the pilots will be. Then apply an equal improvement for every other labor group there and then finally either remove all small jet operations or apply the above minimum mainline packages to ALL aspects of RJ operations (probably cheaper to give up all that revenue).

Finally, if you remove all RJ ops, figure out the revenue losses to AA when 40% of there passengers cannot book their mainline flights because they can't get there (AE folded/pulled out of their connecting city and competition serves it).

Personally I still see AA ending up at the same place regardless of whether the APA is successful or not. It's just a matter of when and it would only be less to AMR's advantage under the longer, more costly route.

I wish the APA the best, but it seems to me either a win or loss on the "house burning" plan still leaves most AA pilots homeless. The APA hasn't to my knowledge offered any financially viable options for AMR to pay the huge compensation increases being demanded "or else" this time.

Remember, you have to price EVERYBODY (all labor) getting an equal deal. I suppose AMR could give all that out, get out of the RJ business, capitulate to scope and shrink itself to a strickly International carrier, but what would 75% of the pilots do when they have no plane to fly when AA becomes a 100 widebody plane airline ?

That's about the only type of airline they can operate competitively with the "burning house" plan.

What am I missing ?

Last edited by eaglefly; 03-08-2009 at 08:21 AM.