View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 AM
LodyDivots
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by forumname View Post
Well, you did post this;

Maybe you should tell us.
I posted that, with tongue in cheak- at least, partially. The way many of you talk, flying for an airline, is a poverty stricken job. Then, many of you, in turn, put down the new guys, as part of the problem, and accuse them of having, "shiny jet syndrome", and their willingness to fly "mainline" aircraft, for "peanuts". My point, simply, was that it might be cool, for a second, to put the uniform on, and tell people you fly a jet, and I certainly do not have a problem with people having that moment, as someone else said, but if pay, and everything else is so bad- like many of you make it out to be, how long will that moment last, before reality sets in? Or, are things no quite so bad, but people just like to complain, hence, my asking you all to, "tell me", what is acceptable.

Originally Posted by wwings
However, while you are at a regional airline, or CFI job, or night freight, for "low pay"...whatever your current definition of low pay may be there is absolutely nothing wrong with working your hardest to improve the value of you and your fellow pilots. If your job is simply punch in, close the door, operate aircraft, punch out, go home...and means nothing more to you than a paycheck or hour building or whatever, whining about pay on APC is one inevitable outcome.
There is nothing wrong with trying to improve things. I hope I didn't imply that.

quote]
You are right. BUT, many people out there, in various careers, have people who make more than them, in careers that may be of less importance, in that person's mind. Is it fair that your fiance makes more than a nurse? A nurse doesn't typically make $150K, yet has to, like a pilot, maintain a license, go through school, and training, and they are working to save people's lives, along side the doctor. A nurse, typically, makes no more than one of your captains, I'd be willing to bet.

I don't say that to say you, and other pilots, shouldn't fight to improve things, and get a better contract. By all means, that is your right, and NOBODY should settle.
Originally Posted by HercDriver130
Saab... i agree with just about everything you are saying here.... but lets look at one aspect that has been lost in this discussion. Your GF... she makes 150k because she busts her ass... if she is like the reps I know... she draws a salary... and commissions on sales..... if she DOESNT bust her ass... her salary drops... its easy for mgt to know who is doing a good job and who isnt. In our profession... frankly we are paid on seniority...not how good a pilot you are ...not on you knowledge or lack there of...... straight up seniority. The longer you are there ...the more you make... not necessarily so at your GF's job. MGT has no incentive to raise pay for several reasons.....all of which we have discussed... but the 800 pound monkey out there is that they all so know that the every CA in the company is just like every other CA...... the only carrot they dangle is bigger aircraft and longevity. Is it any wonder that historically senior guys have sold the junior guys down the river...no. You are worth what you contract says you are worth. Personally I think if the avg regional type capt made 100k per year that would be about right. So of those guys will move on to make more at bigger carriers... others will choose not to. I suspect the avg regional CA today makes 50-65K ....certainly some make more than that...... but I think 80 for a junior CA and 100 for a more senior CA would be about right. FO pay should be about 60% of CA pay in my perfect world. But what do i know .... I am just a former 121 guy ... who is currently laid off from his corporate gig. Good luck to all.
According to the ALPA website, the average 5th year captain at a regional airline, operating RJs, makes just over $70K per year. I'd imagine that is near six figure, for a much more senior guy.
Originally Posted by SAABaroowski
I agree I tend to be too emotional, sometimes blinds me from what I know if i think rationally.

I think there is money to be made, if you live in base and BUST your Hump., I figure If I made 50K on a $34.46/hr payrate in 2008, imagine what my W2 would look like at a payrate of $65-$70/hr
If my math is correct, if you can make $50K per year, at $34.46, than at $65 per hour, with the same amount of flying, you would make over $90K per year. The question becomes- should you have to do all of that extra flying, to make that? I assume you are a 2nd-3rd year Fist Officer. How much flying are you having to do, in order to make that?

Last edited by IC ALL; 03-08-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: removed quote from banned user