View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM
MOKIII
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Don't do it! Run away! Lol, Just kidding. I did it because the flying jobs that I was looking for didn't seem attainable at the time. Getting a 135 Cert. looked more promising. It took me a year and a half to get my 135 cert. I bought one of those manual packages and spent a hell of a lot of time editing the manuals to fit my operation. Don't make your operation fit a poorly written off the shelf manual set.

I got a basic 135 (no more than 5 planes/pilots) with one six seat twin. Over 15 years we grew to half a dozen 10 seaters. But I tell ya, it was very demanding. Stupid demanding. Eight days a week was the norm. Family? whats that. Oh yea, it's called what you sacrifice. I threw everything I had at toward that endeavor. If you're gonna do something like that you gotta be able to do it all. And I'm talkin' everything. Every little aspect, no matter how big or how small, you have to be the master of it and show everyone you bring in how to do the specific thing you need them to do.

You need to know it all but not necessarily DO it all, but be able to. That way you'll have a handle on everything and not get snowed over. Snow costs money in that business.

I did it 'till I was burnt out and damn near insane. That, with a few new over zealous inspectors at the local FSDO looking for any reason to violate really got me asking myself if this was REALLY what I wanted to do with my life. The answer wasn't no, but hell no. I had enough of that noise and ended that horror movie. Do you get the feeling that I really wasn't happy doing that?

Anyway, there have been some very sucessful 135 operations and many are doing very well. Yours may be one of them. And I must say that even though it was a severe pain at times, I feel fortunate to have met and worked with some very fine and dedicated individuals that I will hold dearly in my heart for the rest of my life.

All the best of luck to you CJ, I wouldn't do it again, but maybe it may work for you.

P.S. In the past, I would'nt have had the time to post a response such as this but, now I do. BTW, I'm still flying for a living with a fraction of the stress level.