View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 01:55 PM
RVSM Certified
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Pitch/Power/Trim:

Let's keep the thread going.

I've been asking around for some help on whether or not I should obtain from my instructor [when I begin actual dual training], the Pitch/Power/Trim settings for my training aircraft, so that I can use that information to better handle the aircraft early on in my initial flight training, as a way of getting up to speed faster and as a way of learning good "control habits" once I make the move into the single pilot certified light business jet. I've gotten feedback from some here and I thank you for that. While that feedback was coming in, there seemed to be a split between some pilots here on whether or not doing such a thing would be beneficial to me at all. Some said yes and some said no.

So, I began looking for other examples of multi-engine jet pilots and taking a close look at what they do in this regard. What I found was this video showing a commercial crew making a 12 minute ILS approach to landing.

Notice at time stamp: 2:52 [2 minutes and 52 seconds into the video] the FO calls "Pitch 180" and the Captain confirms. If you listen closely, this "pitch" call from the FO comes after Control directs the Captain to descend down to "four zero" [4,000 ft]....then later Control directs the Captain to "Reduce speed to 180."

Now, if you pay attention to the video from the very start, you can see that they were already well into their descent from cruise altitude profile at somewhere around the 7,000+ ft level on their way lower.

Remember my initial question about this subject? Yeah, that one. Whether or not "Real Pilots" used specific Pitch/Power/Trim settings for the six (6) basic flight segments: Take-Off, Climb, Cruise, Descent, Approach & Landing? Yep, that one. Well, call me crazy - but - is this crew not doing exactly that? Furthermore, does this video resolve the question of whether or not you use pitch for airspeed and throttle for altitude? Sure does seem that way here when the FO calls "Pitch one eight zero." Heck! Even the cockpit was set-up to display the words: Pitch, and the number 180, as a visual panel output reference. So, not only does it appear that "real pilots" use these "configurations," but it also appears that at least some aircraft manufacturers design the cockpit to visually confirm for the crew that a specific Pitch has been set for a specific Airspeed.

I'm I viewing this the wrong way? Again, I ask only because I want to start early in the training cycle, doing as much as I can to get ready for the SJ30. The FO and Captain seem to be very smooth here, very controlled. They are not fumbling around trying to figure out how to get the aircraft down to 4,000 ft, they just Pitched to a specific airspeed and that was all she wrote.

What am I missing?

As usual, you feedback is always greatly appreciated!

Click on picture for video