View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 02:16 PM
NightIP
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by Abbey2 View Post
I have seen several 402 crash's online. Last one was in the NE. Not completely sure but I thought it was a Cape Air pilot that had high time,vast flying experience.I think he took off with VCTS and went down within a few miles after Take-off. Another plane departed just minutes after him and had no problems. Anyway just looking for flight characteristics about the plane before I dive in flying single PIC/IFR/135.
If you're talking about the crash up in MVY last year, the investigation is still ongoing. Nobody's really sure what caused that crash at this point. However, per the NTSB report:

Originally Posted by NTSB
A weather observation taken at MVY at 1953, reported: wind from 110 degrees at 5 knots; visibility 5 statute miles with light rain and mist; overcast ceiling at 400 feet; temperature 19 degrees Celsius (C); dew point 18 degrees C; altimeter 30.17 inches of mercury.
Not exactly VCTS. Once the final comes out we'll have a solid understanding about what happened.

Flight characteristics? As I said it's nicely overpowered when it's empty, and can really keep the speed up well in the terminal area. It's a very stable instrument platform, and feels as solid as a Mack truck but with a nice light control feel. Beyond that, well, an airplane is an airplane is an airplane. But, realize that there's a reason you can't find a C402 these days with less than 15,000 hours. They wouldn't have those kinds of hours on them if they weren't good at what they do.