View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 03:16 PM
RVSM Certified
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Performance charts for your particular aircraft will tell you everything you need to know.

USMCFLYR
So, does this mean that all those pilots out there that I'm reading about having problems launching from HDA airports, ditching out at the end of the runway, taking-off and then plowing into something direct in front of slight elevated above the end of the runway, or just taking-off and stalling because they pulled back too far and too soon on the yoke; did not read their performance charts?

If that's the case, then I'm good to go because I'll always read mine!

However, can there really be that many pilots out there who simply "forgot" about the importance of double checking their performance charts before beginning operations at an airport in HDA? If so, is that a training issue that I can get my instructor to focus on a bit more?

I'm mean, based on what I'm reading, something is broken here. Either the student did not get the training at all, or the student got the training and somehow felt that it did not apply to him/her, or somehow the student simply forgot how important it was because every summer I read about the same kinds of accidents.

Heck - they are almost predictable at this point each summer! I just want to know if there might be something in my training that I can tweak or look out for, so this ghost of a problem does not come back to haunt me, either later in my advanced training, or later in my flying career once I've moved on to bigger, higher performing aircraft.

As usual, thanks for the input.