View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Cubdriver

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Not going to happen.

1) Large-displacement composite-construction piston singles such as Cessna 400 "Corvalis" and Cirrus SR22 are as fast as the old 4-6 seat piston twins such as the Cessna 310 but at a cost far less in terms of fuel burn, insurance, maintenance, and recurrency training.

2) the niche market demand for 6-12 seat turboprops is presently dominated by the King Air Series passenger airplane. Cessna already has an airplane perfectly suitable for the slower passenger, cargo, and floatplane applications in its Caravan series.

3) the standard for comfort, reliability, and speed is much higher now than it was in the age of advanced piston twins. You can buy any of a number of very light jets that can do anything and everything a Cessna 310 or 411 did, even with updates, much better.

4) Piper still makes some piston twins as trainers and manages to dominate that weak but constant market. It is not a strong market because there are a large number of 4-6 seat piston twins still in operation after over 50 years of constant use. Airplanes do not rust.

I like your enthusiasm for the Cessna piston twins, but there is no support in present economic landscape for them. The only way Cessna piston twins could have been with us today would be if they had been protected from excessive damages extending from the beginning of the Age of Litigation. Unfortunately they were not. Technology marches on, and we have better airplanes today; there is no real loss to aviation and the best of the technology survives despite the collapse of the market segment.

I think the next phase in 4-12 seat general aviation aircraft will reflect the shift to renewable fuels and very high efficiency propulsion. You will see composite body, highly aerodynamic, 8-12 seat jet engine twins that have geared turbofans burning jatropha-A fuel. They will be beautiful, efficient, and probably very expensive as well. The shame of the matter is that moderately successful businessmen could buy a Cessna 310 back in the day and get a great airplane for not very much money. You will never be able to do that again. I am not one to say whether an inferior affordable airplane is better or a superior, unaffordable one.