View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 12:37 PM
RedeyeAV8r
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by 1Seat 1Engine View Post
It's tough to hold on right now, especially since almost every guy I know is getting snatched up by Southwest. Supposedly, Southwest can't even interview enough guys to fill their requirements. I'm holding off on getting my 737 type until I get a better feel for my chances at FedEx.
Just a piece of advice. Obviously FedEx sounds like it is your 1st choice. Thats great and I certainly can't fault you for it. (Delta was mine in 1984 and it didn't work out).
It sounds like you might be putting all your eggs in 1 basket. If you haven't even interviewed at FedEx yet it could be 6 months before you even get one (assuming you do) and 6 more months in the pool after that (assuming you get a thumbs up)......some guys swam in the pool for a year or more after getting a thumbs up. (up to 3 years in some cases)

If SWA is choice #2 (a good choice BTW) or you are planning on getting a 737 TYPE anyway, do it now and don't wait. Waiting until a possbile thumbs down from FedEx will put you 1 year behind the process with SWA. Wouldn't it be nice to have 2 offers(1 from FedEx and 1 from SWA or whoever)? If you get your Type there is a chance you could get hired by SWA or Airtran or someone else before you even get an interview here. At that point you would have a decison to make, but it would be a good decision. In any event, that is just my 2 cents worth as timing is everything, and so is seniority. Don't pass up or delay your options for a seniority # somewhere else.

Good Luck in your endeavors.

Last edited by RedeyeAV8r; 09-02-2006 at 01:28 PM.