View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 AM
eaglefly
Banned

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by Flyby1206 View Post
Believe me, I want to see growth at AA just as bad as anyone else so that those on furlough can be recalled and senior AE CAs with #s can move on to greener pastures. If the two options were expand the AE fleet with turboprops, or expand the AE fleet with large E170/E190 at the expense of reductions at AA, I would rather see the left seat of a prop. Prop flying isnt causing an MD80 to go to the desert. I came to AE because it was a relatively stable and secure job and has proven to be so.
Don't look for any turboprop expansion. For the relatively near future, there won't be ANY expansion........in fact, likely contraction.

Once the pushing and shoving at mainline is complete and the landscape there becomes more evident, then we'll all see the future.....both for AA and those companies (plural) that handle the current short/medium range flying done in RJ's. I suppose your desire to see Eagle become a Beech 1900 operator flying to many of their current cities while AA's competitors do it in 70 and 90-seat jets could happen, but I wouldn't count to heavily on it.

You should have come into the business 15 years ago, BEFORE the competitive landscape was set (and it HAS been set, like it or not) and convinced ALPA of what was about to happen and maybe they would have done something instead of collecting their impressive salaries, for now it appears too late.

Wishful thinking won't reverse the relaities of the view outside your cockpit window. On your next trip, take a REAL GOOD look out that window in LGA, ORD or wherever. Fly to ATL, CVG, DTW and think to yourself, what I think; Just HOW do you stop this now ?

HUNDREDS of 70 seaters are already out there. DOZENS of 90 seaters are already out there (and growing). AA needs that revenue and profit segment or it will only weaken further. Flying RJ's at mainline wages won't work. NOT flying RJ's won't work (as pleasurable as that feels on the surface).

What's the long term answer in EVERYBODYS best interest ?

Someone is going to lose out. Someone HAS to lose out. Odds are it will be the same group that has ALREADY lost out. So far when big business has gone against the interests of professional airline pilots, we've lost every time and we get weaker every day. ALPA won't save this profession for they are now a profit-oriented business themselves, most interested in maintaining a dues stream.

If you've got some answers that big business (who unfortunately for pilots, IS in the drivers seat) will buy, I'd like to hear it ?