View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
ryan1234
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: USAF

Originally Posted by NoyGonnaDoIt View Post
I may be misunderstanding you, but your posts seem to suggest that you are viewing the goal of a side slip landing to be touching down on one wheel.

It's not. The goal is definitely =not= to land on one gear and "hold it there."

The goal is to land the airplane longitudinally aligned with the runway, with no sideways drift (and, upon touchdown, to transition the control inputs to those required for a crosswind taxi).

From the point at which you decide to move into the slip, the control inputs you use will be those needed to maintain that alignment without drift, and may change all the way down to touchdown. Whether you land on one wheel (and to some degree how long you stay on one wheel during the rollout) is determined by wind direction and strength at the time those events occur. Not by the choice of a pilot who, oblivious to conditions, decides to land on one wheel.
Read the post I originally replied to. I agree (for the most part) with you here... just throwing this all out there for debate.

also I'm sure ewfflyer is a good, experienced pilot so I mean no disrespect to his post concerning touch and goes, just a respectful disagreement