View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 AM
MD11
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Out of Regional Jet flying
Default CRJ tips and rules of thumb

So, I get a call the other day from one of my fellow furloughees and we discuss some of the things we are doing to keep the brain atrophy to a minimum. Thinking about it, there is many rules of thumb and tips that we all use in the performance of our job. I would like all of you to offer your experience and guidance in any aspect of flying the CRJ, this includes those that do not post but simply lurk on this web board. No tip is trivial or too complicated. Just post anything that you think will help. For example, a simple contribution would be using the fix button on the FMS to visually keep track of your next fuel qty check. Or maybe using the fix button with a 30 mi ring as a reminder to be approx 10,000' and 250 kts for the arrival. Or it could be as complicated as this: ATC instructs " insert your airline 500, proceed direct Greenwood (GRD), then outbound on the 130 radial to intercept the 050 inbound to Colliers (IRQ). Use the place bearing distance function "GRD130/99" and insert on the legs page, next go to the fix page and insert IRQ and the crossing radial of 050, you will distance crossing of 27 miles. Go back to the legs page and modify your GRD130/99 to GRD130/27. From that waypoint add direct to IRQ. If you look at the bearing to on the legs page, it may be off slighty from what ATC instructed, so consequently you can trim up the GRD pbd to match. OK, so maybe this is somewhat complicated but please add anything you like.
One more thing, this thread is to help others and also our fellow furloughed folks, so please contribute.

Does anybody remember the rule of thumb on the CRJ200 concerning the N1 thrust setting inside the FAF and fully configured? I believe it was whatever your landing weight is, i.e. 41,000, you would use, 41% N1. I can't remember if that was correct.

Thanks to all