View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 AM
zach141
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: holding pattern

Originally Posted by PearlPilot View Post
"Some authorities prefer to hold the brakes until maximum obtainable engine r.p.m...however, it has not been established that this procedure will result in a shorter takeoff run...take off power should be applied smoothly and continuously-without hesitation..." (5-9).
I see this being correct, because if you stop, you are "giving back" a couple of knots that you had from taxiing onto the runway. That is, the static takeoff must overcome the total inertia of being at a standstill. Given that prop power is more or less instantaneous when applied, those few knots and already being in motion could be worth as much or more than starting the t/o roll from a stopped position with t/o power already applied. (Obviously N/A for a jet, where idle to TRT takes several seconds.)

I believe I'd instruct whatever the AFM/POH says, since I can't mathematically prove either one, and the Practical Test Standards say the applicant "applies brakes (if appropriate)", which could only mean "appropriate to that aircraft."
Zach