View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Kasserine06
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: Box Pusher

Originally Posted by ryan1234 View Post
I'm going to have to wave the bs flag at the whole 61 isnt as good thing, every case is different
I never said all part 61 places are bad. I am just saying I have experienced some bad part 61 places. In fact, I did some training at a bad part 61 place because the flight time was cheap. I did the homework myself and learned more about the aircraft than their “senior” instructor (tried to tell me to pull the carb heat on landing in a fuel injected 182). Part 61 serves a great niche for cheap and quick flight training, but it does require a bit of self learning. What I am saying is to try both just so you get to see both sides of the flight training world. Even if you only do 10% or less of your training at a 141 place, you will be better off than a person who has never left their part 61 FBO.

Also, If you plan on instructing, you will have a large advantage. How can you instruct at a part 141 school if you were never a student at one? Because I went to both part 61 and 141, I am comfortable learning and teaching in both environments.

Originally Posted by ryan1234 View Post
you can use those hours to do things like tailwheel, seaplane, glider....and come out with more hours for the same price as 141...
I completely agree. For a fraction of the cost to get my CFI at the 141 school I went to, I got my CFI, CFI-I, MEI, seaplane, a 10 hour aerobatic course, my high performance rating, and my tailwheel at part 61 schools.