Thread: Type Rating
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 03:02 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Explain to me why they are offering you the type in the first place. Is it to teach at FSI in the sim? If so, it's absolutely not out of the question after a year or two as a sim instructor.

Even though you may only have 1000 hrs in the plane, your practical experience in the sim, particularly as an instructor would probably open the door for an SIC job. Especially if you have a type rating already and have a current PC (which hopefully FSI would allow you to do each year for free or very cheap).

Ultimately it's up to you, but I would go for the type that a) costs the most, and b) has the largest potential for income/QOL. Ultimately you should decide what type of lifestyle you want too after you are done... right now I fly the Citation- not the most comfortable aircraft (especially coming out of the CRJ to the Encore), but my lifestyle and QOL are much better than people who fly larger equipment (I make airline CRJ CA pay, and am off usually 4-5 days a week, flying about 30 hrs a month.) You couldn't get me to fly a different gig.

I think you could find a job in a Gulfstream or Global- particularly if you spend some time teaching in them (Which by the way is an EXCELLENT way to make contacts for future jobs- what better way to get to know potential employers than by training their pilots?)