View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Not great

Originally Posted by LeoSV View Post
Sky, those companies say that because they can't keep drivers due to work conditions and pay. There are a very high number of scumbag companies that will hire you and then charge you for everything except the air you breath. They do that by deducting from your check. Additionally, they more than likely send you to pick up a load and you layover for a couple days with no pay in some podunk town, sleeping and living in a 8x8 foot truck cabin. If you really want a realistic idea, try to find a driver from one of the said companies and ask them.
And yes, City bus drivers make usually between $24k and $52k with pensions, but this brings back the age old question, did you become a pilot because you wanted to make lots money, or because you wanted to fly for a living? I would personally hate being an inner-city bus driver.
We live in an area that transports large amounts of agricultural products from the processor to the big city port. The local trucking companies hire drivers who can pass a drug and TSA background check. All of the work is day trips. In America apparently is it difficult to find a constant supply of non-felons who are responsible and sober. A local container driver can start at 36K and work up to just over 50K. I got my initial information from a tenant who is an owner operator. He makes two trips a day and does very well.

My entire point is that a guy can invest 6 weeks to get a crummy job as a commercial truck driver who barely makes a living or blow a fortune on flight training and four years in college to get a crummy job that barely makes a living. It makes more sense to get your CDL then your commercial instrument. It seems that as a truck driver you can get a job in most any town even during a massive economic down turn.

Skyhigh