View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 11:17 AM
kronan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt

Originally Posted by pokey9554 View Post
I agree with what you're saying. If you read the full publication I posted, it specifically says you cannot deduct lodging or meals if you work other than the place you live if your assignment is permanent (over a year). The DOT may have an exception, but I cannot find it. Let me reiterate, I completely believe you SHOULD be able to deduct a crashpad/ hotel room, but apparently the IRS only allows businessmen in private jets to deduct those things.

Did you actually read the publication you posted? Next paragraph is a clipping from your link

Generally, your tax home is the entire city or general area where your main place of business or work is located, regardless of where you maintain your family home. For example, you live with your family in Chicago but work in Milwaukee where you stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants. You return to Chicago every weekend. You may not deduct any of your travel, meals, or lodging in Milwaukee because that is your tax home. Your travel on weekends to your family home in Chicago is not for your work, so these expenses are also not deductible

So, if you get audited-you will be paying taxes and penalties associated with deducting your crashpad expenses.

IF you want to deduct some of your expenses, THEN, create/find a job that you work while you are at home (your residence). Your TAX HOME is still going to be where you make the majority of your income (e.g place your crashpad is located). So, when you leave your TAX HOME for the purposes of working at your residence, you can now deduct the travel to/from your crashpad as well as the expenses associated at your residence. E.G. for every day you work at your residence, can deduct the standard per diem or actual expenses.

What you can't do is claim per diem for sitting reserve in the crashpad.

Well, you can do anything you want, just might wind up with some adverse consequences. More than 1 pilot has tried the whole taxes are illegal so I'm not paying any. And, more than 1 pilot has tried claiming residency away from their true legal residence to avoid state taxes.

(Hint-if you are claiming you live somewhere else, then don't have your name on the deed, don't be president of the HOA, etc.)