Thread: Midair Crash
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 08:52 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by ryane946 View Post
Whoever said that gliders need transponders is completely clueless. Most the gliders I have flown don't even have a master switch (or a battery for that matter.) Remember that most gliders are only a few hundred pounds. Adding any weight extremely effects the preformance of the glider. Remember, gliders don't have engines!!! A high L/D ratio is crucial!

So what? As far as I am concerned glider pilots can make any and all safety sacrifices in the interest of recreational performance...as long as they stay the h&ll out of controlled airspace! Maybe times have changed and the skies have gotten too crowded, but I should NOT be getting surpised by a glider when I have 90 passengers behind my door. That was not even a little bit funny!

Transponders, Li batteries, or radar reflector beacons don't weigh or cost that much...I've used them in the military, and they are man-portable.

FWIW, I am willing to accept some personal risk in my own recreational pursuits, but I really try to exclude unsuspecting non-participants from my risk envelope.