View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
RadarContact
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008

There are a lot of scholarships out there. I don't know of any off the top of my head, but a simple google search should turn up a handful and I think AOPA has some info on the subject as well. There is a lot of free money out there for flight training, you just need to look hard for it. I have 4 friends who have had at least one rating paid for this way, and it helps if you are in a minority group ie. WIA and the 99's have a lot of scholarships. Groups at your local airport give out money too, there are always small flying clubs that don't advertise their scholarship very much and there are usually only a couple people competing for it.

Wash and fuel planes, it's a great way to network and you might run into some rich guy who wants to help you out, or a flight school that will cover some of the cost if you agree to sell your soul to them for a few years.

I wouldn't push taking out a loan for flight training. It will bite you in the butt when you have to pay those loans back on CFI or FO pay. Pick up a part time job and use that money to fund the flying...something, anything but a loan. Listen to Dave Ramsey some time.