Old 04-09-2009, 03:35 PM
RadarContact
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by joepilot View Post
A question reference the PTS. IF you already have all your Ground Instructor ratings, then you cannot present the FOI test results to the examiner (unless you kept a xerox) since you had to turn them in to the Feds when you picked up your Ground Instructor ratings.

Does the examiner have to test your knowledge of FOI again, (whichever flight instructor rating you do first), since presumably you have met that while doing ground instructing?

Joe
If you have just one ground instructor rating, you no longer have the FOI test results. You still have to do the FOI portion of the practical test. In the PTS if you reference the "additional rating task table" you will see that if you already have a "FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR" certificate, there are certain areas which will be skipped. The FOI is skipped on all subsequent practical tests, after you do it on the first one. If you don't already have a "FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR" certificate, then you must complete ALL required tasks.

I had my AGI already when I took the CFI practical test, and yes I had to do the FOI portion. It's not too tough. A few straight forward rote memory type questions, but they mostly just analyze your lessons that you present to see if you used your knowledge of how to instruct. Your lesson plan should be prepared in such a way to demonstrate your knowledge/mastery of the FOI's. The examiner will ask you questions throughout the lesson (playing dumb of course) to see how you react too. It will seem cheesy at the time, but once you start instructing you will see that it's pretty accurate. The FOI portion will also take place in flight.

Don't try to find ways around doing it. A good foundation with the FOI's will make you a great instructor. It's not just about going flying, you have to be able to teach. Some people are better at it than others and can naturally form lessons in their heads. Others have to put a lot of time and effort into it. The FOI section is set up with that in mind.