View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Dan64456
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Default Never even entered the career...

Here's the thing. 24 yrs old - Work in IT for a commercial Real Estate company (just laid a bunch of ppl off, so no... it's not secure at all, I may be next) I have an Associate of Applied Science Degree in IT (2 yr) and about 4 years work experience in the field. I make less than 45 grand a year (Kind of Expensive area - Philly - plus city wage tax) and am looking for my next step. I have my PPL as well - VFR. 60ish hours total time. (Got my PPL in 40! Only 33 of that current at the time of my checkride too.)

2 1/2 years ago there wasn't a doubt in my mind - I wanted to go to ATP, knock out my ratings, instruct for as long as necessary, attempt to get hired at an airline. Had issues with color vision and had a hell of a time finding a doctor with a FALANT. Discovered I could pass the keystone, and even the ishihara in certain lighting conditions but that’s beside the point. It held me up. I passed the FALANT right before they stopped giving out LOE's for that, but they threw me under the bus anyway. (I believe illegally, but again, that’s beside the point) (They gave me an erroneous letter to hold me up in the system because they knew the rules were about to change right when I passed) So then I met a girl which helped me rid of the urge to have a job on the road - that was an on and off relationship for those 2 years. I spent that time dragging me feet pretending I was happy to 'tolerate' my job and just live like everyone else does. No one likes their job right?
So last summer I visited Ari-Ben, and really liked the outfit they are running down there... Nice living arrangements - seemingly cool staff and very diverse students. 40 grand for all ratings and 200 hr multi. Obviously I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.

So here I am in the present no airlines are hiring anyway, the industry and the rest of the world are in the sh1tter, and I have a harder and harder time justifying spending the money on training for a job that won’t let me break 30 grand a year for 2 - 3 or more years. I worked my entire life to get past 30 grand and finally did 2 1/2 yrs ago. (I grew up lower middle class, so this is huge to me.) Now I'm having my transcripts sent to Peirce College in Philly to see what it would take to complete my B.S. degree so I could have that out of the way. I'm guessing I could build the ratings and TT on my own time and pay as I go? (While going to night school - so this only would leave 1 or 2 nights a week to fly)

Since I'm not happy with my job and the 9 to 5 lifestyle at ALL. But I love to fly and could totally see myself doing it for a living... What are your opinions? (Please spare me the negatives and mob mentality groupthink bash flame fest.) I'm looking for honest input here.

Thanks all.