View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 AM
bryris
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: Hotel

Dan, I don't totally understand what you are asking for. It sounds like you are posing a question of whether we think you should pursue professional flying. Assuming that that is indeed your question, nobody can answer that for you. You mentioned "mob mentality groupthink bash flame fest". What is this? Do you mean that anytime someone tells you it isn't worth it, this label is to be applied to them to destroy their credibility? If that is your view, the answer to your question is go for it. It sounds like there can be no alternative.

I've seen your posts all around this board. When anyone, who has actually done or does this job posts their viewpoint in a negative light, you jump all over them. If I counted "IT" in your posts, I'd run out of fingers very quickly. Are you trying to escape IT or fly for a living? My opinion is that you'd be better off finishing your degree in something that interests you (outside aviation) and doing that. Meanwhile, finish your ratings, instruct, tow banners, drop parachutes, or whatever. When you arrive at about 1,000 hours, Comm Multi, CFI, and preferally II too, then take a look at the economy and state of affairs and make a decision. Doing it this way will be much more enjoyable for you. Go find a part 61 school and find an instructor who instructs for fun, not someone time building.

It would behoove you to not stack up multi thousands of dollars in debt. You mentioned you'd been working on making money for years and grew up lower middle class. People are lower middle class because they make the wrong decisions financially. Stacking yourself with 40k - which will likely come in higher when done - is a bad financial decision. Its just reality.

I've done the job for a little while and I get what these guys on this board say. I've seen it for myself. I can assure you that whatever rosy picture you've painted for yourself to look at is not the way it actually is out there. But, it DOES beat sitting in a cubicle, no doubt about that. But flying isn't the only way out of a cubicle and I'd advise you look into those options. Despite everything, I might even find myself back in an airline cockpit in the future. The draw is strong. If you want it bad enough, you owe it to yourself to try. But, make good decisions along the way and don't be surprised if it doesn't work out because we, as pilots, have little control over our professional destiny. We roll the dice, some win, some lose.