View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 PM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Dan:

I totally understand how you feel as far as the desire to fly for a living.

I started looking at flight schools back in 2003. Initially, I was sold on DCA. Then I reviewed RAA, ATP, Prairie and a host of others. Finally, I came across AriBen. For all intents and purposes....42K is a very reasonable price for flight training, housing, check rides, etc. That's where I plan to attend. Like you, I've visited the school and walked away satisfied having all my questions and concerns addressed.

My issue is the medical. I contacted the FAA last week and spoke directly to my contact, the Chief Psychiatrist, and wanted to know where I stood in the approval/denial process. I emphatically stated that knowing where I stood, afforded me the opportunity of determining what my next course of action would be in terms of pursuing the 1st class medical. In other words, whether or not I wanted to continue to invest time, effort and finance into this process or redirect those resources in another direction.

I've seen the approval/denial process be defered from the local AME, to OKC, to Washington DC, to and outside consultant firm, to a 2nd outside consultant firm, then it heads back to DC for a final decision. I informed my contact that I understand that the process is what it is. I may not necessarily agree with it, but I'm sure he could appreciate the aforementioned being that the process was initiated back in 9/07. He assured me that I would have my answer by the second week in May.

I'm glad that I undertook the process. I have no regrets. I'm at the stage in my life where....."I want to know where I stand"........in pursuit of the 1st class medical, relationships, finances....everything.

Dan...."if you wanna walk on the water; you've gotta step outta the boat".

All the best. Blue skies.

Hope to see you in Ft. Pierce.

atp