Old 04-11-2009, 10:34 AM
bjsmith
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Default Did Boeing drop a huge market with the 717?

PREFACE: I know this is a pilot forum, but I'm hoping non-pilots (I've been meaning to get my license, but never seem to find the time), with aerospace technical background, are welcome. I'm a heavy traveler and former defense (aerospace) engineer, so I've been around avionics and 6DOF concepts. So I take a keen interest in equipment, safety records and general business. I came to this board via Google Search for Allegiant Air (first post)

This has been bothering me for a few years, especially as I've flown on Boeing 717s more than probably any other aircraft in the 21st century.

I was at Boeing (working on defense, mainly F-15/18 and other things I can't talk about) when Boeing officially ended the 717 line. To me, it always seemed to have under-marketed (virtually not at all?) the 717-200 as it was introduced alongside the newer 737 models, as if they competed. Only AirTran seemed to be a major customer, as a replacement for their aged, largely ex-Delta DC-9s. And yet the 787-800/900s were larger capacity and range versus the 717, so I don't understand why it wasn't marketed along side it? They didn't really compete. Did Boeing just sell enough 717s to recoup the development costs of the MD-95 after taking over MD? Still, I'm scratching my head on the utter lack of marketing on the unit.

It's obvious that a 100+ passenger with 1,000-1,500 range aircraft is still a big seller. Embraer's E-190/195 series is proof of that. I've now flown on those via JetBlue and United and noted several, major carriers are adopting them. They're really not much cheaper than the 717 was, and in all honesty, flying on the Embraer still scares me to death. I can understand the E-135/140/145, given any smaller, regional jet, but I cringe a little too much when I've booked JetBlue into IAD, and often opt for AirTran to BWI anymore. It seems that Boeing just left a huge market to be filled by Embraer, especially since the A318 is far more costly (and most airliners might as well look to the 737 or A320 instead).

Although it was post-termination and hindsight, the departure record (99.6%) that AirTran and the few 717 operators achieved over a few years is still a testament to the aircraft. What can be replaced on the equipment in 15 minutes or less is remarkable. It seems like the MD-95 design was the ultimate DC-9/Super-8 lineage ever, unlike what can be said in the newer designs like the Embraer E-190/195 that are still proving themselves.

Another thing I've noticed is that the Boeing 717 is cleared to fly through all sorts of weather where anything Embraer and even larger AirBus A319/320 aircraft cannot. I've been grounded due to weather on JetBlue A320 and E-195 aircraft in Boston and New York and have been quick enough to get the last few seats on an AirTran 717. I've switched my destination to White Plains to catch an open window for the 717 as well. It's almost like the Super 8s, with the 717 as the ultimate, was the "Pony Car" of the skys.

So, I ask those of you that have drivens ome of the equipment I've mentioned, what do you think of the 717? Both in handling as well as the decision by Boeing to built and sell it only to shut down the line? Do you think it was undermarketed as well? How about those of you driving the Embraer E-190/195? How do you feel about it versus the Super-8 class, especially the 717?