Gets Weekends Off
ryan1234
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jun 2008
  • Position
    USAF
Quote: You're really overthinking this, with alot of technical explanations that are not really true.

If you were to touch down on one wheel, past the critical AOA, the airplane would most likely slam into the ground. However, when you flare in a crosswind and place one wheel on the ground first, I can assure you that you are still ways to go from the critical AOA and that you are still developing a significant amount of lift. Therefore your theory about this being hard on the tire and/or landing gear is imo false
So basically let me get this straight.... (since my explanations are not true):

You say that your are still a ways to go from stall speed (critical AoA) when landing on one wheel. Please explain "significant lift" with one wheel on the ground... what are we talking here 50kias? 45kias? (in a 172 let's say) or a touch and go (at whatever would be slowest speed to stay in contact with the ground, considering the ground effect). Basically you are saying you touch down a ways from your stall speed?

I may have rode the short bus to work here... but just curious why would you want to be all cross-controlled during a gusty day? That doesn't seem like positive aircraft control.

What I usually do is a little of both but mostly crab during approach and just a really slight bit of opposite rudder and roll back to centerline ... works pretty good.