Thread: Allegiant Air?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 AM
bjsmith
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2009

Originally Posted by Chperplt View Post
An airplane had a bird strike... and that's something that bothers you about Allegiant Air?? Dude... Every airline that has ever launched a flight has had a bird strike. Do you think the pilots on this particular flight thought it would be fun to find this bald eagle and hit it?
You know... Driving may be a better solution for you.
Originally Posted by lear 31 pilot View Post
I have hit 2 birds in my short career, its pretty common. I guess nobody should Fly US Air anymore.
No, no, no, I guess I wasn't clear in my point.

Other than Miami Air, Allegiant Air is the only domestic carrier out of SFB. With six (6) strikes in only a couple of years, I was -- more or less -- pointing the finger at SFB (and anyone who flies out of SFB), not Allegiant. I know bird strikes are not uncommon, but they seem to be common out of SFB, which is where I fly out of. That's the only point I was making, and I should have made it clearer that it was SFB, not Allegiant, that I was pointing at.

And yes, I understand ever since the US Airways incident that the media is doing their standard flocking to a common issue as if it's uncommon. It is quite pathetic.

Originally Posted by ATlineholder View Post
Actually, Airtran never had 300s, they were 200s. And Milk Man needs to learn how to spell.
Sorry, my mistake. I guess I'm getting AirTran mixed with SWA who flew 737-300 and 737-500s until recently until recently. In fact, has SWA retired all of their 737-500s now? Or are there still a few flying?

Originally Posted by Chperplt View Post
Do you realize that the ValuJet crash had nothing to do with ValuJet? Contract mx facility caused that and people went to jail as a result. Do you stay away from Airtran as well? Same management team from ValuJet went to Airtran and some are still there...
I understand ValuJet and the reverse take-over of AirTran which means AirTran is essentially ValuJet. And yes, I'm aware of the illegal cargo that was placed on AirTran, let alone realize how many commercial carriers do carry similar types of nominally legal cargo.

But I always questioned how much was known about the ValuJet operations and subconctracting higher up. I'm not faulting Gallagher, but there is still that wonder about him. I mean, low costs do raise eyebrows. I do point out that Gallagher is behind Allegiant Air as well, but neither AirTran nor Allegiant Air seems to be remotely the same experience I had with ValuJet prior.

SWA reminded me more of ValuJet than anything. But I'm not on the ground crew or flying with the pilots. And SWA is dropping (has dropped?) their old 737-300/500s now, at the request of the FAA. I will give SWA some kudos for at least standardizing on one aircraft, like Allegiant.

Originally Posted by Milk Man View Post
The captain and first officer wouldn't allow an unsafe aircraft in the air. Especially with passengers on board, and the fact captain could get violated. Isnt gonna happen, your in safe hands.
I completely understand that. But there are always things that even the most involved pilot cannot always be involved with. The illegal cargo that ValuJet was a perfect example.

I know you guys take care of us. I wouldn't doubt that for a second. And I could care less if you spell perfectly. After all, I majored in engineering, and spelling was never my strong suit either.

Originally Posted by Globerunner513 View Post
I'm a ramper for Allegiant at BLI, and I can say I'm pretty impressed with the maintenance guys here. Last night, for example they were out there with us till about 1am while we were doing our cleaning rounds, fixing every little thing that came up over the course of the day from passenger lights, to a false nose gear indication.
Of course it seemed these things were fairly quick and easy for them, but to me it shows a certain dedication that is refreshing to be around.
As I'm still a newbie with this particular company, I havn't flown on any Allegiant aircraft myself yet, but I would have no hesitations to flying myself, or sending anyone I know with them.
I've always felt like Allegiant Air takes care of their planes. ValuJet's DC-9s were over 20 years old average at their time of operation IIRC, of which Allegiant is not quite there yet. Now that they are growing with even more planes (I remember when they had less than 20, now they're over 40), they are building quite a fleet. Those MD-80s are solid aircraft as long as you take care of them and, again, it never hurts to standardize on one aircraft.

I feel others still operating MD-80s, like American, aren't as on-the-ball as Allegiant. But that's just a gut feeling.

Last edited by bjsmith; 04-12-2009 at 11:57 AM.